*

*

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Plain Jane, Wyoming

To start off with-I don’t particularly like Wyoming! We arrived here in Evanston, WY on Tuesday. Our travel time should have been only 5 hours; but it was 7 hours. We endured icy roads and were stuck on the interstate 30 miles away from our destination in a stand still traffic jam for an hour and a half. However, I better learn to like Wyoming as I will be a guest of the state for the rest of the month.
On a better note, we were able to spend a night in Steamboat Springs, Colorado! We didn’t get to take in all of the sites; but just from the little time we did spend there it makes me want to go back, when we can spend more time there! We were there on Monday and just took the day walking the downtown area and admiring the scenery. We ate dinner at a fifty’s diner, Johnny Be Good’s-they serve the best burgers! I had a Plain Jane Burger and Joseph had a Mogul Masher which was a burger with pineapples and Canadian bacon on top of it! We were going to visit Strawberry Park on Tuesday before we left; but when we awoke to snow and bad weather we decided it wouldn’t be a good idea and will have to save it for next time.
We enjoyed our meeting in Walsenburg, Colorado! The church had a neat idea, during Sunday school class they take up a change offering, people give loose change or loose bills. They take the change offering and dump it into a big coffee container each week and they do so until a missionary comes. When the missionary arrives, how much ever has been collected is given to the missionary wife-which was me this time! After our meeting there, I took the change in to the bank to have it cashed out and there was $90.00 for me to spend! The rules and conditions of the money, as told to me, by the Pastor’s daughter was: I don’t have to share it with anyone and I can use it on whatever I want! So, while in Steamboat Springs, I bought a denim skirt. I also bought some much needed new makeup and I am saving some to buy a new wallet!
As I said, we are currently in Evanston staying in a prophets chamber. We didn’t have an official meeting last night, so we took in services from the church that is allowing us to use their prophet’s chamber-we will have an official meeting with them next month when we return to be in their missions conference. However, the church has already treated us so well, they gave us a love offering just for being with them last night! Now, when we leave on Saturday to take off to Cheyenne, I can eat! Ha!
On a side note-this has nothing to do with our travels; but I think its funny. Since I am always looking for a new jean skirt and one of my favorite stores to shop for them at is Maurices, we stopped in at one here in Evanston. When we stepped into the store, a very friendly sales clerk inquired if I needed help with anything. I replied that I was looking for a long jean skirt. To which she told me, “all we currently have is short ones-you know the skimpy kind?” I thought it was quite hilarious that she admitted that the skirts were skimpy-which means they are obviously inappropriate to be wearing!

No comments: