*

*

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pregnant Tuesdays-Gestational Diabetes

A week ago today I learned that I have the dreaded GD-gestational diabetes. I failed the one hour glucola test as I did with Klayton and went in the following morning for the 3 hour test. I fully expected to pass and be borderline as I was with Klayton; but that was not to be. The nurse called to tell me and I let my pregnancy hormones get out of control and cried about it. I was SO upset and I dreaded the diet I knew would be coming. I immediately got on Facebook and messaged friends that I knew have GD as well and I am so thankful that I was able to reach out to them through Facebook! They were such a help to me and I decided to follow their diet until I met with the dietitian.
So, last Friday I met with a dietitian and receive a "nice" little kit to start pricking my finger for blood now. Oh joy. I was put on a "diet". Oh joy. What does this mean for the rest of my pregnancy-no more root beer. I have to avoid sugar and sweets as much as possible and I must limit my carbs. For example, I have three snacks a day that each is only allowed to contain 15-30 grams of carbs and my meals are allowed to contain 45-60 grams of carbs. I am also to walk as much as I can for exercise. Mostly the diet is about moderation. We had spaghetti for dinner and I allowed myself one serving and filled up on salad. I am trying to be good and do the diet "right"; but I get fearful that I am not doing it perfectly and Justus will be effected.
To sum it all up, I wish I didn't have GD; but I am thankful we caught it and I can hopefully control it to have the birth I want to have when the time comes.

No comments: