*

*

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Breast Cancer Awareness Controversy

Yesterday on facebook, I noticed a single friend with the status, "I'm one week and craving smarties". So, I wrote a comment, "if I didn't know any better...you can fill in the rest." She then messaged me an email that was being sent only to female recipients, the status like the one she posted are to help bring awareness to breast cancer? Really?? If you ask me, it just made, me wonder, "what is in the water they are drinking? I want some because I'm ready for baby number 2!" When I was reading the statuses, I was at first a little jealous, then when I discovered the truth behind it I thought it was quite silly! I have struggled with concieving, it took a year and half to concieve Klayton. I wasn't offended by the statuses, but could understand how those struggling with infertility found these statuses to be a mockery to something so special or a mockery to words they will never say, as most pregnant woman have cravings!
This morning when I got on facebook, I noticed apologies were being made and some of the statuses that had been posted were removed. I appreciated the sensitivity people were having towards women who suffer from infertility. But, then this silly status game put me on the defense when I started reading.comments about how women with infertility are "being silly", "have a heart problem if something so simple can offend them", "are being stupid". I am hoping the people that have made those type of comments dont really know what they are saying...I'm assuming that they have never had this struggle and don't know anyone with this struggle. I'm assuming these people didn't think before their fingers started typing. Just as a person who had never faced breast cancer, we don't know how something we say can affect them...the same applies to infertility, we don't know what seemingly simple things can affect them. Infertility is a cancer of the heart. Most women are born with the desire to bear children of their own, they grow up playing house...dreaming of the day they will meet prince charming, marry and start a family off their own. When the day comes to start that family, the anticipation becomes even stronger...thinking of names, what it will be like to have a baby in the tummy kicking...then it comes time to take the test hoping for a positive; but thE answer is negative. Then trying to keep a positive attitude...the words next month come as the tears pour down. There is always next month soon lose the power they once had...friends sharing their good news is exciting yet difficult. You want to be happy, yet your heart breaks. Mothers day comes, you have no problem celebrating your mom or moms in general; but yet feel forgotten, wheres your baby, will a baby ever be celebrating you? For a woman infertility goes against what she was created to do bear children, it makes her fight a desire that isn't wrong yet seems wrong when it appears the desire will never be granted to them.
Anyone who knows me, know that I'm a pink ribbon supporter; but really isn't there a better way to raise awareness? I don't think the infertile women want to be tiptoed around, I'm sure they agree that more awareness needs to be made about breast cancer. However, I think a little more tact and sensitivity could be used...and just maybe those struggling with infertility are being too sensitive? But, can you really know that we all deal with things differently...two women could be walking the same road; but that doesn't mean they have the same feelings or deal with heart ache the same way.
Infertility is my soap box...and I hope that each women who struggles with concieving can one day use the breast cancer awareness status rightfully!

No comments: