*

*

Saturday, February 11, 2012

MIA-Travel Tips

As I stated yesterday, I've been missing in action on my blog. I just have a lot of things going on in my life that I can't talk about and therefore, I just don't know what to write about. But, here I am....
We are back on the road and are currently driving to Texas where we have a meeting in Lubbock tomorrow. I am no pro at this thing called, "traveling with a 15 month old". But, I thought it might be fun to share some tips for traveling with a baby or a toddler. Most people cringe at the thought of taking a vacation by car with an infant because it may not feel like a vacation. We have been traveling with Klayton since he was 3 weeks old, so he definitely knows what it means when he gets into his carsear! Without further ado, in no particular order:
•When putting an infant/toddler into their carseat for a long period of time, remove their coat or jacket. They are already going to feel constrained and a bulky coat doesn't help.
•If you make a stop, whether it just be to get gas let them get out of their carseat.
•Have a snack and a drink available. Nothing to big, especially for those little ones that are being potty trained!
•If you have access to a portable DVD player or something that can play DVDs use it to your advantage. For example when we left for a 5 hour drive last week, I was able to pop in a 'Baby Einstein' that was 40 minutes long. Klayton watched the whole thing, and then napped which got him through the first half of our trip.
•If you have an only child, make time to sit in the backseat with them to keep the child company.
•If you have older children have them take turns sitting by the infant/toddler to help entertain.
•If your child has a favorite doll or bear let them hold onto it.
•Often times small toys that can be picked up quickly are great entertainment.
•When traveling for several days in a row try to make the first day your longest travel day.
•Listen to books on tape or fun, peppy music!
•Be sure the vehicle temperature is comfortable.

No comments: