*

*

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Klayton and Preschool

Klayton turns 4 on Tuesday! Seriously, how did this happen?! Ok, I DO know how it happened-he grew, just as he should. It's just hard to believe that he is getting so big and is my not so little boy anymore. In the past I have always done posts all about him a few days before his birthday. I am having a sleepless night-no surprise there-and have been trying to decide what to blog about in regards to him.
Preschool! This has been one of two big changes in his life this past year! First, it was gaining a little brother and then going off to school 4 days a week! Joseph and I had always talked about when the time came that it would probably be a good idea and a good experience to send him to preschool. When the opportunity arose of a preschool opening that had a 3 year old program I was instantly excited as I envisioned how I knew he would love being with other kids and how his speech would improve. I have not been disappointed. It's not been just preschool for him, it's been a time in his life where I have seen him grow and flourish. I am SO thankful that God has allowed me housekeeping jobs to pay for this opportunity. I am also SO thankful for the teacher he has, she is good for him and I know she has come to love him! I know how could she not?!
His favorite thing to do at school is paint, as long as it's not finger painting! He also enjoys cooking! Klayton has also acquired the art of singing since going to school. Until this time he has never tried to sing and now at church I can sometimes hear him singing above my piano playing! The other day as I went to pick him up from school I arrived a few minutes early and from the window I could see him playing the drum as he was singing with his classmates. The smile on his face was priceless, in fact I tear up just picturing his face in that moment. When I stepped inside the pick up area it had become his turn to stand at the front with his teacher and sing. He was doing his part proudly and loving it! As I drove him home that day, he sat in his car seat singing, "I am 'pecial"! What a special sound that was to my ears! Klayton is really such a special boy and I get reminded of that daily and I hope he grows to know that He is special to God and that God DOES love him as the song says:
I am special.
I am special.
God loves me.
God loves me.
Someone very special that is me,
That is me!

In school he is learning the Pledge of Allegiance, his job is to hold the flag! He takes his job VERY seriously-the flag never touches the ground in his care. Klayton is also learning the Christian flag pledge, memorizing Bible verses, the alphabet and sign language for each letter. He is also learning colors, shapes, numbers as well as learning to recognize words, especially his name!
When I drop him off at school I enjoy watching him see his friends! They usually exclaim, "Klayton, I missed you!" Then they all run to each other and hug like they haven't seen each other in years! I have seen though how peer pressure works even at a young age; but in this case for my good! Haha! When I pick him up from school as the other kids take charge by exclaiming, "Mom" and running to their parent with a hello hug-Klayton will then follow suit and do the same! I love those hugs!
Klayton's teacher discovered that he learns best in certain situations when he is able to sit on a ball and bounce! I am thankful that she looks for ways to encourage the best learning possible for him and realizes that not all kids learn the same way!
Before bed the other night he told me, "School, I love it!" That makes my Mama heart so happy and content!

No comments: