*

*

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mama Bear Reality

My husband frequently teases people not to mess with me-especially while pregnant-because I can be such a "Mama Bear"! I finally decided to Google the definition and found this definition from the urban dictionary: a mom who can be cuddly and lovable but also has a ferocious side when it's necessary to protect her cubs. Can also be a biological mom, or the head of the group. I also found this definition: a wonderful mother who is protective, but in a good way. She acts like a mother bear in all senses of the word; caring, protective, helpful, loving, powerful, strong, a refuge of sorts.

I must admit that I don't mind at all being called a Mama Bear! You see I firmly believe that Klayton is worthy of being protected, cared for, loved! He deserves to be cuddled and to have a refuge. These are not bad things. When my husband teases about this I know he is not referring to me in a bad way; but I am learning that people tend to furrow their eyebrow when the possibility of Mama Bear showing herself is present. You see its not always popular to be Mama Bear-sometimes you have to go against the grain. Sometimes Mama Bear is not going to be favored by the child or the people around her, it can be a hard pill to swallow. I have been quick to learn that it's okay that Klayton doesn't always like my choices for him; but I have been very slow to learn that it is okay for others not to always like my choices for my child. One of the things I struggle with-you may laugh; but I hate it and I don't like it at all when people share their drinks or food from their plate with their silverware with Klayton. It is a personal preference; but something that Joseph and I also recently learned is that there are so many sicknesses/diseases that can be passed through that simple act. As Mama Bear, I cringe when I see people still doing this with my child and I admittedly "steam" about it. At the same time, I realize that it is a result of my "fear" to speak up as in some cases I have tried to casually address the topic. See this is where my slow learning comes in-it shouldn't matter what people think because I know I am looking out for the best interest of my child.

One of my favorite parts of the definition of Mama Bear is, a refuge of sorts! I have recently learned that in some areas I am Klayton's refuge and I do not want to infringe on that in any way. A few weeks ago we were in an unpleasant situation and Klayton was not liking it. I found comfort knowing that my child wanted me to hold his hand, wanted me near him! I find comfort in the knowledge that he KNOWS that I am there for him. I will often ask Klayton, "do you know that I love you?" And he always answers yes! I don't ever hope for a day where his answer is no. Klayton is such a daddy's boy; but if he gets hurt he wants me-yay! I believe it is necessary to be a Mama Bear just to protect the refuge my child seeks in me! I want to be the Mom that my child knows he can go to and that he doesn't have to go elsewhere. I would never on purpose put Klayton in a questionable situation or in harms way and when another person does this to my child, my trust is broken. I realize that may seem harsh; but I don't care! I say that with a smile on my face so maybe that lessened the harsh reality of what I said!

I love being someones Mama Bear and I can't wait to be Mama Bear to both my boys!

No comments: