*

*

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bad Mommy-Sun Poisoning

This past Friday we decided to walk Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. We knew it would be a long walk; but did not anticipate 10 miles. I don't think we would have done it if we would have known! Since it is March, I also didn't even consider sunblock...I hadn't even bought it for the summer yet. But, I did remember to pack Klayton's sunglasses and gilligan hat, its just a chore to make Klayton keep them on! Our walk which included a picnic took approximately 4 hours! Wow! To say the least by the end of the walk my legs felt like jello and we were so thirsty...we had forgotten our water bottles in the van! Klayton, just so you know had several beverages with him-he stayed hydrated. When we got back to our van I had bleeding toes and a HUGE blister-ouch! I checked Klayton over and he seemed fine. Twenty minutes later we met up with some friends and it was then I saw the RED...red faced Klayton. Sunburnt. Ouch. Ouch.
Saturday morning we woke up and Klayton had a very puffy face. I continued to lather him with coconut oil as I had done the night before and tried to keep him hydrated. I was concerned that he is so young with such a bad sunburn. Sunday morning he was still red and puffy, with a rash on his back and tummy which had appeared Saturday. Once church services were over, a concerned church member as well as a nurse told me that she thought Klayton had, sun poisoning. What? I had never heard of this! I promptly googled it and discovered that its a sunburn that has created an infection that can lead to swelling and a rash. It was suggested to go to an organic store and get pure aloe as well as give pain reliever. So, every time Klayton had a diaper change his face got slathered with oil and within a few hours he looked so much better.
He still has a puffy face and a rash; but I can tell its improving. Talk about a bad mommy moment, I just feel so bad for my lil guy! And, yes I now have a bottle of sunblock in my diaper bag and a trial size bottle in my purse! No more forgetting the sunblock.

No comments: