*

*

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Book Reviews 6-7

Please remember to vote on the poll to the right. And if you are viewing from a mobile device please choose to view this page through the web version for your opportunity to vote!

Time is slowly running out for me to cross things off my bucket list. I haven't kept up with it like I wanted to and things I don't get accomplished will automatically shift to next years bucket list. However, I am crossing off books from the list and have a few reviews to share with you today. In advance I apologize for no direct links or pictures of the book covers-our keypad is not working correctly and I really don't want to deal with the hassle of it all today.

Book 6: The Upside Down Marriage by, Jim Keller

"One of our biggest challenges in marriage is to communicate through conflict in a productive manner..."

"It's interest to me that what we most want from others is sometimes so easy not to give in return."

"You are always on a slippery slope if you begin to compare your faults to the faults of your own spouse. Own what you need to own and stop the comparison game."

...if the marriage is suffering, parenting will also suffer or at best be extremely challenging."

"Having children is one of the biggest privileges we are afforded by God, but it is a total marriage makeover. Those beautiful babies are heavenly intruders, demanding of both parents' time and sacrifice.

To be honest, I don't know why I chose to read this book; but I did. It was a free book on my Kindle and I just like to read non-fiction books that just might have some helpful tips. I also realize that when a book doesn't necessarily line up with what I believe i need to be careful with what I take from it and while this book has many good points, I do NOT recommend it.

Book 7: The 7-Day Prayer Warrior Experience by, Stormie Omartian

"The Bible would not have told us to take up the whole armor of God in order to withstand evil if evil could have been withstood without doing that."

"Some people think that because Jesus accomplished everything on the cross, we don't have to do anything at all. But if that's true, why did Jesus teach us to pray..."

...we must choose to live God's way. We cannot be protected if we deliberately walk outside the ways and will of God."

Our obedience to God is evidence that we are in alignment with His will. The most important thing is not to get what we want in prayer, but to accomplish what God wants."

In the past I have read other books by Stormie Omartian, one of them being "The Power of a Praying Wife which I thought was excellent! So, I thought a short 7 day Bible reading supplement would be great. The title says 7 days, however, the closing chapter should have been day 8 because it was just as long as the other chapters. I know its petty; but its in my nature I guess to be annoyed with that long 'closing' chapter. A good book; but I am on the fence as to whether or not I would recommend it!

There we have it folks, two books to cross off the good ole bucket list and 5 more to go!


No comments: