Friday, October 14, 2011

Birth story...Reminiscing

**Next week Klayton turns one. I have been reminiscing alot about the last year and decided to repost his birth story.**

Monday, October 18th I had my 40-week check up was really hoping to have made some progress that would indicate an impending labor! Unfortunately, no progress had been made and now the question, when do I get induced? Do I get induced? Originally the plan was that if I hadn’t delivered by the 25th, that I would be induced then. However, after talking to my doctor she thought the latest I should be induced would be the week of the 25th and maybe it would be best to try and do it before then. So, it was decided, October 21st would be the day.

Thursday morning came bright and early, considering I didn’t get a lot of sleep-neither did Joseph. Joseph’s lack of sleep was out of utter excitement that he would be getting his baby boy and while yes I was excited, my lack of sleep was out of anxiety and disbelief. Anxiety that I would be pushing a baby out of me! Disbelief that I would no longer be carrying a baby in my belly; but in my arms!
We arrived to the hospital at 6:45 in the morning to register and get our hospital bands. Everyone was very excited, both sides of our families came along with us and were taking pictures of us like crazy and everyone thinks I ‘m picture happy; but on this day they were all just as bad! After being registered, I was taken to my room to get settled in and ready for induction. I was supposed to be induced at 7 a.m; but there were checks that had to be done before I could be given the pill. My vitals were checked and my doctor arrived to see if I had made any progress since Monday-I was now dilated at a 2 and thinned to 50%. After the check, my doctor gave the go ahead that induction could begin and the pill was ordered and administered at five minutes to nine. My doctor left and the walking began, I was told the more I walked the faster the pill would make its way into my system and produce gradual contractions. Everyone joined in the walking with me; they took turns walking the labor and delivery floor with me. Let me tell you, I probably lost the 10 lbs I had previously gained the week before, just by walking that day! The walking paid off and my body started to contract enough that when my doctor arrived at 12:30 to check my progress I was dilated to a 3, I wasn’t thinned any more; but I was definitely softer. So, at 12:50 I was administered another dose of the pill, this time it was half a dose and I walked some more! Around 3:00, I started to feel slightly uncomfortable and asked to use the whirlpool. My nurse, Candice didn’t know if this was a good idea because I was still only at a three and sometimes the use of the whirlpool would stunt labor when it was only just beginning. But, I begged her to let me use the whirlpool for 15-20 minutes because I was beginning to get quite the backache…with some hesitation she agreed. While in the whirlpool, I was still feeling discomforted and didn’t understand why the backache would not go away. Suddenly, it felt like I was going to the bathroom and I couldn’t stop myself! I looked at Joseph and said, “I just went to the bathroom!” His reply, “gross!” We then decided it was time to get out, I stood up and didn’t think much of anything until I heard Joseph telling Candice that when I stood up he thought there was something that was not right, more “stuff” had come out of me. Candice informed us that she thought my water must have broken and so she had me come back to the bed, where I got the sensation that I was going to the bathroom again! Oh my! Candice checked me and I was dilated to a 4, this was at 4:00 and by 4:45 I was dilated to a 6! Labor started to quickly progress and my doctor was called! Originally, Dr. Klein wasn’t going to come back until 5 or 5:30 to break my water; but now the question was did she come now or later? At 5:00 I was checked again and in 15 minutes time I had went from a 6 to an 8 and was 100% thinned. Dr. Klein decided it was time to come! During this time, my back labor was getting stronger and it was decided to attempt the whirlpool once again, yay! Unfortunately, I didn’t get to enjoy the tub for very long. I had been in the tub for about 5 minutes, when Candice came in and told me that even though it would be uncomfortable that I needed to quickly be moved back to the bed, so they could find Klayton’s heartbeat. They had been unable to locate his heartbeat for what had been to long. So, with the help of Candice and Joseph I was put back to bed. Then it was a flurry of commotion, nurses were everywhere and they turned the monitors away from me. A monitor had to be placed inside of me, on his head to monitor my contractions and his heart rate more clearly. I later learned that the monitors had been turned away from me because every time I would contract, his heart rate would dip down into the 30’s-a very dangerous place to be and it was very important that I relax. This had continued for a while, when my doctor arrived it was determined that Klayton could no longer handle the rate that my contractions were coming, I was having continuous contractions with no relief in-between. They gave me a shot to slow my contractions. Klayton’s heart rate still had to be monitored very carefully. After delivery my doctor informed me that the cord had been wrapped once around his neck and twice around his belly and every time I would contract the cord would tighten and put him in distress. During this time of distress, I called for the epidural; but they couldn’t give it to me at that moment because all their attention had to be on Klayton, I understood and tried not to think about my baby being in distress-I just had to take the grace from God that I had been praying for since the day we found out I was pregnant for delivery. Later, I was asked if I realized the severity of the situation because I didn’t freak out. I just knew that the best thing I could do for my baby was to relax. When they were done dealing with Klayton I once again asked for the epidural, my doctor told me that it would be best not to because it could possibly stunt labor and I needed to get Klayton out of my belly. So, pain medication was out of the question. I started pushing at 5:45 and shortly after they gave me pitocin to get my contractions moving again because now my contractions weren’t moving fast enough. I was able to get 2 pushes to every contraction, they were hoping for 3; but it was hard to get the energy through the pain. Around 7:30, my doctor wanted Klayton out or they were going to have to do the vacuum to help get him out. The delivery was taking longer than they wanted just because I couldn’t push as much as they wanted me to. So, I started pushing and it was only with God that I was able to start pushing three at a time! With the encouragement of my doctor and Joseph that I really needed to give them one more good push, Klayton was born at 7:45! My doctor wiped Klayton up, my mom cut the umbilical cord and he was placed in my arms. My doctor quickly whispered in my ear, that I did amazing and that it was very important that I had pushed Klayton out when I did-he wouldn’t of been able to handle the contractions for very much longer. During labor and delivery the contractions/pain were very intense, they say back labor tends to be worse…but suddenly when I saw my baby for the 1st time the pain drifted away and when I think back to it the pain doesn’t seem to be as intense as I remembered it to be at that time! I wish I could describe the moment, the feeling of having my baby boy placed in my arms, seeing him for the first time; but I can’t. All I know is, I would do it again and I would even do it again without pain medication! I think the first words I said to Klayton was, “I love you” and then I started singing, ‘You Are My Sunshine’, I sang that song to him every night when he was in my belly. Something else I also remember is that, he instantly calmed down when he was placed in my arms for the first time-he knew I was his mama!
What no one told me was, that even though I was exhausted I didn’t want to sleep Thursday night! I just wanted to stare at my baby boy all night long, not missing a moment! I love my Klayton Matthew more than I ever knew I could love someone! It was strange when I reached for my belly to feel him move and realize I no longer have to carry him inside of me, I get to carry him in my arms! I thank the Lord for what He has added to my life; Klayton is the child I prayed for!

No comments: