*

*

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Becoming Unattached

I've been convicted lately about how much time I spend on my phone. then I read an article about missing out on your children's life because of being on the phone. I was even more convicted. Klayton is only going to be 18 months once and there is so much that he is doing and exploring. Do I really want to miss out on those moments because of Facebook, words with friends, etc? Do I really want to say, "just a minute" because I'm making a move on my game or checking out the latest status on Facebook?
Before cell phones and even at the introduction of cell phones, life was lived independent of cell phones and now it's dependent of cell phones. If their not at our ear, their attached to our fingers as we type our text message, play our games etc. if we just happen not to be on our phone in some way or another we leave it in sight "just in case".
I love my iPhone and all it's neat features; but I don't love it more than my child. I don't want it to be priority one; but I'm making it priority when the first thing I do in the morning is check it before I do anything else...or keep one eye on it as well as one eye on my child as he doing something fun.
This is how pathetic my attachment to my phone is. Last week I decided not to access it during lunch time-that's just one hour! Can I tell you how slowly those minutes passed and how quickly I ran to my phone to see what I missed during that hour?! When I realized that the conviction and guilt settled in. I acknowledge this because I really want to work on this, I don't want to be that mom who leaves her phone in another room and my child proudly brings it to me because he knows it has to be in my hand, like it's a part of my body.
So, here's to wanting my iPhone to be on the back burner in my life!!

No comments: