*

*

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Birth Class Overview

This week Joseph and I were able to participate in a 3 hour long birth class. Joseph wasn't really that crazy about taking it; but he was a trooper and went along with it! He also didn't mind for the reason that it was one of the cheapest classes and the most affordable one to participate in. I really wanted to take a birth class and it was disappointing that more options were not accessible and cost friendly-most classes charged $100 or more! We paid $25.00 and I think it was the worth the money.
The birth class focused more on relaxation and breathing. We watched a video that walked us through every step of the labor and delivery...when it got to the delivery I had to close my eyes. They also showed a video explaining each relaxation technique. The director of the class also focused and explained each technique a little more clearly for us and walked us through some of the techniques and positions as we practiced them. Some positions and techniques included:
1.) Squatting. This position is not one that I will be using in labor, I did not find it comfortable.
2.) Slow dancing. Yes, there really is a technique to help you relax through contractions that involves dancing. The woman places her hands loosely around the husbands neck, while he holds her up and they sway back and forth at a pace the woman feels comfortable with.
3.) Whirlpool! Notice the exclamation point? While we did not practice this technique at the birth class, I know it is one that I will be using! They say because of water covering your belly and the jets working on specific parts of the body that it is very relaxing!
4.) Birthing balls. I was very surprised; but I actually loved using the balls. It was very comfortable to drape my body over the ball, letting my hands hang loosely to let my husband massage them! Between this and the whirlpool is where as of right now I plan on spending most of my labor!
I found the birth class very much worth my while, it allowed me to learn positions that I would never have considered otherwise. It also gave me perspective of what to prepare for through the laboring. No one can fully prepare you for birth, no two births are the same and I don't think anyone can really prepare the first time mother!

2 comments:

Stephen & Mandy said...

Exciting times ahead, Kendra! You will be surprised what you think you will like during childbirth and what you actually will! It's pretty amazing!
I agree with the whirlpool! While mine didn't have the jets, I did labor from 6-10 cent. in the water, and actually delivered in the water. It was relaxing!
I'll be thinking of you during this exciting time!

Lyssa said...

I loved the birthing ball while pregnant but could not stand it during labor! You never know. I hope and pray it all goes smoothly no matter what techniques you use. Atleast you have an arsenal to use! =)