*

*

Monday, August 16, 2010

A Photo Memory


This is my brother Caleb and I, when our family first moved back to Wisconsin. I remember when Caleb was born, I was in the 1st grade and felt pretty special when my teacher let me announce to the class about the newest edition to my family! The first time I held him was at the hospital and he just cried! He was probably crying at the realization that this big sister was going to be a mother hen that he would have to always deal with even as an adult! haha! When I was kid, I remember feeling like I had to watch his every move, just to be sure that he would be okay, that he wouldn't hurt himself. My mom, would let him play outside-ALONE-so I felt it my responsibility to stand at our living room window and keep an eye on him so that no one would kidnap him! Even now as an adult, miles apart from each other-he lives in Oklahoma and I am all the way in South Dakota...I still feel the need to protect him as best I can-even though he is now 21 years of age. This past Sunday night, I called him late at night and there was no answer...I immediately wondered, "is he okay?" I then informed Joseph, after having called three times with still no answer that being the mother hen big sister could be a hard job at times! Joseph reminded me then, "thats because you are not to be his mother hen, he already has a mom and you are to be his big sister and Klayton's mom". Really?! This comes as quite a shock! My mom does a great job as his mother and as mine too; but its as if I try to "help", so I worry and tell him what to do freely-I make a great sister boss! I love my little brother who now stands taller than me! I love him and the memories we share: singing Feliz Navidad at the top of our lungs with the car windows rolled down, the notes he gave me, when I was a kid and got in trouble he would come in my room and sit beside me to give me hugs, he always had a ball in his hand...so, little brother-I love you and I am going to try and not be such a mother hen, I will see how long this works...

No comments: