*

*

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Photo Memory


Oh no! A black cat...does that mean bad luck? Haha! I don't think so! This was my cat, Moonlight! I was browsing through my parents pictures that have on their computer and I came across my cat who we had his entire life, 1992-2007! I remember wanting a cat so bad; but my parents said no. However, I remained persistant...I would cut out ads in the paper that were giving kittens away and I would tape these ads to my dads desk. In the evenings I would practice writing out names that I liked for cats and when we would go grocery shopping, I would tell my mom that I was willing to give up my weekly treat and use that money for cat food instead! My parents weren't cat people and I don't know why or how I ever got the notion in me to want a cat so bad! Well, finally after what felt like years of wishing and hoping for a cat-my dad told me to come along and visit a coworker of his. I wasn't to thrilled; but I went and I'm glad I did! When we got there we were taken into a barn and were shown kittens! I was so excited and a little nervous! There was a little black kitten, with little hair by each of his ears; but was so cute and friendly-he was sitting on my dads shoulder! And here introduced Moonlight to my life!
The first night home with my new kitten kind of made me nervous though! I ended up knocking at my parents door in the middle of the night because I didn't know how to get the kitten to stop climbing up the Christmas tree! I remember the days of how my brother really loved Moonlight and wanted to play with him; but didn't seem to know the appropriate way to play with him, so he would put the cat in a trash can and would walk away with several face scratches from an angry cat! I remember how you would always find Moonlight on top of a blanket, sitting in the windowsill, stealing your seat! I think he had a pretty good life! And I think he gave me some of my most favorite memories...
I think pets learn to love their families as well. I remember the last time I was home with my parents, even then it seemed I knew that would be the last time I would see Moonlight and it seemed he knew that as well. I remember the day he died, he waited for my parents and siblings to wake up to tell them goodbye. Moonlight is now in a box-he loved boxes-buried in my parents front yard...

No comments: