*

*

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bucket List-Book Review

Well, here's to checking off another book from my bucket list, goal 4-Read 12 books I've never read before! And with this book under my belt I have now read 3!

I read, Beyond Ordinary···When a Good Marriage Just isn't Good Enough by, Justin and Trisha Davis.



What I appreciated is how honest and transparent the couple was in documenting and sharing their marriage struggles. Most people in general are not willing to be transparent and then to be transparent on paper and publish it?! That rarely happens because, "what will people think?!"

I found myself relating to Trisha and that made me want to keep reading even more! There were a lot of good points; but does not use the King James Bible I just don't feel like I can 100% endorse it. I also was not fond of the final chapter and found myself briefly skimming it.

Points I took from the book...just a few:

·It is a dangerous prayer to pray-God change me. You know why it's dangerous? Because this is a prayer God will always answer. God longs to transform you. As much as you want to change your spouse, as much as you try to modify your behavior, God wants to change your heart. This prayer is where lasting change starts.

·Marriage is physical and emotional, but more than anything else, marriage is spiritual.

·None of us has the capacity to change a human heart. We think that by trying to change our spouse's behavior we are changing their hearts, but that isn't true. By trying to change our spouse's behavior we are actually damaging their hearts.

·Oneness in marriage is possible. It isn't easy, but it is possible. And it only comes as each spouse individually pursues God.

·Less than 8% of Christian couples say that they pRay together on a regular basis.

·Distorting truth and compromising truth often seems innocent and harmless, but it always comes with a price.

·We fear the consequences of confession because we have yet to realize the consequences of concealment.

·If God is powerful enough to do so many miracles, it seems reasonable to conclude that He will also be good with directions.

No comments: